Compartmentation survey – Fire Risk Assessment compartmentation
A Fire Risk Assessment will involve the review of existing fire compartment measures; however the scope of the assessment will not be as extensive as a compartmentation survey.
What is a compartmentation survey?
Compartmentation is the process of sub-dividing buildings to help prevent the rapid spread of smoke and fire. Detailed compartmentation surveys are assessments of how well a dwelling can protect important escape routes and high-value areas, through sampling and locating potential fire dampers.
Compartmentation surveys are often overlooked, but can be one of the most effective methods of keeping a building and its occupants safe.
Our surveys include:
- An assessment of the current compartmentation strategy for dwelling/building.
- Comprehensive inspections of existing fire compartmentation provisions in – floors, walls, roof voids, basements, floor and ceiling voids, risers and shafts.
- An assessment of the condition of compartmentation and any defects in accordance with British Standards, Approved Document B and any site-specific Fire Strategy information.
- A detailed review of fire doors.
- A clear action plan.
- Detailed mark-ups of existing floor plans, indicating the locations of compartment walls and floors.
- If existing plans cannot be obtained, Pennington Choices will conduct a measured survey in order produce CAD formatted plans.
Why Pennington Choices?
Impartiality – Pennington Choices are unique in that we only offer surveying services for compartmentation and Fire Risk Assessments. This means we offer a proper, impartial service with no intention to benefit from any issues that we might highlight.
Value – As we only offer surveys, you will get value for your money. We will only ever make recommendations to our clients that are necessary in order to comply with fire safety regulations.
Inclusiveness – We manage our compartmentation surveys from start to finish, to alleviate the burden of the process from our clients. However, by including our clients in the process, we keep a level of transparency between the both parties. We encourage the client to check the status of their survey at any point using our ‘Bolster surveying and management system’. This system is an all-round hub, containing live updates, relevant images and downloadable surveys. You can learn more about Bolster systems here.
To make an enquiry, you can contact us on 0800 883 0334 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can find more information about our Fire Risk Assessments here.
Head of Survey Services
Head of Survey Services
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Building (MCIOB)
- BSc (Hons) Building Surveying
- DipDEA – Domestic Energy Assessor
- MIFSM – Member of the Institute of Fire Safety Managers
- DipGDA – Domestic Green Deal Assessor
- Construction Skills Certification (CSCS)
- NEBOSH – Fire Safety Management
Matthew is Pennington Choices’ Head of Survey Services. He is responsible for the delivery of large scale projects, including fire risk assessments to well-known local authorities and significant housing associations throughout the UK. Matthew works closely with our chartered building surveyors, fire risk assessors and asset managers to deliver a number of property services.
Matthew oversees the progress of all projects and is responsible for monitoring quality in line with our ISO 9001 accreditation. Matthew agrees KPIs with our clients and ensures they are adhered to consistently.
The following blogs may also be of interest to you.