Vacancy: Trainee Lab Technician
Location: Bromley, South East London
Purpose of role
The ultimate purpose of this role is to provide excellent and highly effective asbestos analysis/ identification which ensures the delivery of accurate and timely survey reports in accordance with client’s contractual requirements.
As a trainee you will support the business in delivering services to clients, gain skills and experience and follow a structured programme of training, including formal qualification that will ultimately lead to you being competent to identify asbestos materials.
Key Accountabilities and responsibilities
Asbestos is a material commonly found in buildings that were constructed or modified prior to 2000. Asbestos is harmful to health and as such owners of property are required to carefully manage the risks to human health that it represents. Further information on asbestos can be found at http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/.
You will join the technical support function of the organisation, reporting to Prash Dharma our Laboratory and Quality Manager.
Your principal role will be to book in samples and sample data, analysis of samples, assisting in the weekly management of the laboratory and production of certificates to UKAS accredited standards. Due to the nature of this job, training will be given.
Once you have studied for and successfully obtained your asbestos fibre counting certificate, which is the BOHS accredited P401 certificate, and completed a number of satisfactory internal audits, you will be accredited as a laboratory technician.
You will be required to display competence in the lab in order to provide high quality analysis in accordance with the IAS Quality Manual and UKAS accreditation, be able to data input on the IAS database. All the while upholding the company’s policies and procedures, strategies and culture.
Key Areas for the role:
- To be up to date with relevant legislation and the Quality Manual
- To be proactive to ensure the product is delivered on time
- To contribute to developing new services and systems
- To meet all legal obligations required to be met by the company as a provider of asbestos related services and an employer
- To take personal responsibility for productivity and billable time
- To maintain equipment and tools
- To maintain all elements of the laboratory
- Treat each other, and others, with respect at all times
- To ensure that the culture of the company is one that is honest and open and values everyone’s opinions and contributions
- To actively thank people for their efforts
- To contribute to a culture that is positive about the company
- To contribute to a culture that enables Pennington Choices to be a learning organisation open to challenge and change
- To proactively engage in training and development provided by the company
- To take personal responsibility for maintaining technical expertise and an awareness of current issues in the sector
- To support the business by working flexibly and responsively from the company’s office or from clients sites as required.
- To carry out other such duties as may be reasonably required.
- To ensure that the equality and diversity policy is proactively implemented at all times.
- To work within the company’s policies and procedures at all times.
To apply for this position please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org