Vacancy: Fire Safety Manager
Location: Head Office, Cheshire
Purpose of the role
The purpose of this role is to:
Lead our fire risk assessment projects and work within our Property Services team, with the principle focus of delivering our secured pipeline of work to an exceptional standard.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
The job-holder is accountable for delivering fire risk assessment projects throughout the UK.
The job holder will work collaboratively within the Fire Safety team and with the Operations Manager –Compliance Services and Head of Survey Services to:
- Manage the team of in house Fire Safety Officers and external associates to deliver all fire risk assessment and compartmentalisation survey projects across a variety of building types and sectors.
- Provide reports and highlight any remedial action required.
- Identify and define solutions to fire related problems.
- Develop fire safety action plans.
- Ensure the health and safety of colleagues, customers and general public.
- Initiate and lead the delivery of internal projects.
- Personally deliver secured consultancy assignments.
- Accountable for making a significant contribution to the operational and commercial performance of the fire safety team.
- Generate fees through the personal delivery of fire survey projects and other fire related project work.
- Directly manage field based fire risk assessors and sub-contracted associates deployed on our contracts.
- Work collaboratively with the Head of Survey Services and other leaders across the business to ensure we have an integrated approach to service delivery and quality, which delivers our key business objectives and targets.
- The job holder may be asked to act as Deputy to the Operations Manager – Compliance Services in their absence as and when required.
- Member of IFE / IFSM / FPA.
- NEBOSH qualified in Fire Risk and Safety Management.
- In depth post qualification experience, providing services to residential property owners and managers.
- Knowledge and ability to write detailed technical reports.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook and Excel.
Competencies and skills
Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers. Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in a critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus. Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
Building Effective Teams
Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Functional / Technical Skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Integrity and Decision Making
Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions. Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes, doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
Can negotiate in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiation and has a good sense of timing.
Can quickly find common ground and solve problems for the good of all; can represent his/her own interests and yet be fair to other groups; can solve problems with peers with a minimum of noise; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; easily gains trust and support of peers; encourages collaboration; can be candid with peers.
To apply for this position please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of People Resourcing
Head of People Resourcing
Chris Spencer is our Head of People Resourcing. With over 35 years of experience in recruitment, Chris is responsible for recruiting mid to senior level property experts externally for our clients and internally for Pennington Choices.
Chris manages an external recruitment practise that delivers targeted searches to resource and deliver ‘hard to fill’ permanent, interim and contract placements with clients in social housing. Chris also maintains an experienced talent pool of high calibre interim managers and directors for deployment in fixed term interim and consultancy positions.
- Sourced and recruited the ‘Group Managing Director’ for Liberty Group, a subsidiary of Forviva Group.
- Sourced and recruited the ‘Director of Technical Services’ for IDS Housing Association.
- Sourced and recruited three ‘Asset Management Specialists’ for Magenta Living.
- Sourced and recruited group ‘Head of Compliance’ for New Charter Housing Group.
- Sourced and recruited an ‘Operations Director’ for a niche engineering business that had been unable to source the right person for over a year.
- Placing the ‘Operations Director’ and ‘MD designate’ in a company who then became a client based on the quality of their recruitment experience.
- Director level experience managing a multi £m business.
- Devised the search strategy and delivered the recruitment of +20 senior engineers for a global manufacturing organisation, with three exercises over consecutive years worth in excess of £300k.