Vacancy: Fire Risk Assessor
Location: Greater London
Purpose of the role
The purpose of this role is to:
Help Pennington Choices achieve its growth aspirations and to work within our Property Services team, with the principle focus of carrying out risk assessments.
Key accountabilities and responsibilities
The job-holder is accountable for delivering specific fire risk assessment projects throughout the South of the UK.
The role will work principally with our Fire Safety Manager and Operations Manager to:
- Carry out detailed fire risk assessments across a variety of building types and sectors
- Provide reports and highlight any remedial action required
- Identify and define solutions to fire related problems
- Develop fire safety action plans
- Ensure the health and safety of colleagues, customers and general public
- Initiate and lead the delivery of internal projects
- Personally deliver secured consultancy assignments
- Attended an industry recognised training course on: Fire Risk Assessment (minimum 4 days); and Fire risk assessment in residential accommodation lasting (minimum 1 day).
- In depth post qualification experience, providing services to residential property owners and managers.
- Knowledge and ability to write detailed technical reports.
- Excellent IT skills including Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Able to use a Tablet/PC and capture digital images.
- DCLG guide to sleeping accommodation;
- DCLG guide to purpose-built blocks of flats;
- The LACoRS Housing Fire Safety guide;
- Specialised Housing Guidance – NFC
- At least two years of supervised experience carrying out fire risk assessments on residential premises.
Competencies and skills
Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Functional / Technical Skills
Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Integrity and Decision Making
Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgement; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions. Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes, does not misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; seldom gives up before finishing, especially in the face of resistance or setbacks.
Can negotiate in tough situations with both internal and external groups; can settle differences with minimum noise; can win concessions without damaging relationships; can be direct and forceful as well as diplomatic; gains trust quickly of other parties to the negotiation and has a good sense of timing.
To apply for this position please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of People Resourcing
Head of People Resourcing
Chris Spencer is our Head of People Resourcing. With over 35 years of experience in recruitment, Chris is responsible for recruiting mid to senior level property experts externally for our clients and internally for Pennington Choices.
Chris manages an external recruitment practise that delivers targeted searches to resource and deliver ‘hard to fill’ permanent, interim and contract placements with clients in social housing. Chris also maintains an experienced talent pool of high calibre interim managers and directors for deployment in fixed term interim and consultancy positions.
- Sourced and recruited the ‘Group Managing Director’ for Liberty Group, a subsidiary of Forviva Group.
- Sourced and recruited the ‘Director of Technical Services’ for IDS Housing Association.
- Sourced and recruited three ‘Asset Management Specialists’ for Magenta Living.
- Sourced and recruited group ‘Head of Compliance’ for New Charter Housing Group.
- Sourced and recruited an ‘Operations Director’ for a niche engineering business that had been unable to source the right person for over a year.
- Placing the ‘Operations Director’ and ‘MD designate’ in a company who then became a client based on the quality of their recruitment experience.
- Director level experience managing a multi £m business.
- Devised the search strategy and delivered the recruitment of +20 senior engineers for a global manufacturing organisation, with three exercises over consecutive years worth in excess of £300k.