Renovation, repair and home improvements to older properties will inevitably create a degree of disturbance and mess. Whether you are decorating, knocking through walls, replacing old kitchens and bathrooms, taking down old garages, having an extension or converting your loft or basement you might be at risk of disturbing asbestos.
Frequently asked questions
What types of residential properties are at risk of asbestos?
Properties built or refurbished before 2000 may contain asbestos. Unfortunately many common materials used in the construction industry prior to 2000 contained asbestos.
When might I disturb asbestos containing materials?
When you are renovating or decorating, knocking through walls, replacing old kitchens and bathrooms, taking down old garages, having an extension or converting your loft or basement you might be at risk of disturbing asbestos.
What type of material could I sample myself?
Materials such as;
- Textured coatings for decorative finishes on ceilings and walls.
- Partition walls, ceiling tiles, soffits, panels below your windows.
- Old asbestos floor tiles.
- Toilet cisterns and seats, window sills and bath panels.
- Asbestos cement; such as older boiler systems, water tanks, fire surrounds and pipes.
- Roof sheeting, wall cladding, downpipes and gutters on older garages and sheds.
What is the delivery time for receiving an asbestos testing kit?
You can choose from either standard delivery (2-3 days) or next day delivery (orders received before 1pm).
Please note that any orders placed after 3pm will not be dispatched until the next working day.
All the materials mentioned are normal building items. If you are in doubt about disturbing a material you should always take a sample with a testing kit. If you don’t feel confident taking a sample please contact our trained surveying team on 0800 883 8820
You can test quickly and cheaply with our DIY asbestos testing kit developed by our reputable UK asbestos surveyors in their in-house UKAS accredited laboratory. An asbestos testing kit will help you to sample materials in your home and sometimes garden sheds and garages.
Quick and easy to use asbestos testing kits to detect presence of asbestos in your property. Asbestos testing kits are a fast and cost effective. Watch our film to see how it works – ‘How to take an asbestos sample’ film.
Our asbestos testing kits contain everything you need to safely take samples of suspected asbestos. You will receive:
- Full step-by-step instructions.
- Protective face mask, coveralls and gloves.
- Return packaging for the samples you take.
- Test results from one of the UKs leading UKAS accredited laboratories.
The safe, quick and simple way to find out if a material contains asbestos. We will provide you with:
- DIY Asbestos testing kit.
- Easy to follow, step by step instructions are provided.
- ‘How to take an asbestos sample’ film.
- UKAS laboratory test results.
- Cost of laboratory analysis fee included.
- Suitable for home or business use.
- 100% support from start to finish.
- Sample only service if you already have a sample.
What will you receive in the pack?
- Easy to follow instructions.
- Disposable single use, P3 face mask.
- Disposable category 3 (type 5/6) coveralls.
- Pair of disposable gloves.
- Cleaning wipes, as used by our asbestos surveyors to ensure tools are clean after sampling.
- Labelled grip lock polythene sample bags.
- Polythene sheeting (extra thick).
- Asbestos waste bag (extra thick).
- Packaging to return sample (s) for analysis.
If you have any questions please call us on 020 8290 5629 or email us using the contact form for advice and guidance.