Housing Health and Safety Consultant
- Permanent f/t (40 hrs pw)
- Based in Warrington with some nationwide travel
You will be responsible for providing advice to social housing providers to enable them to meet their housing health and safety related compliance obligations and responsibilities.
You will work collaboratively with senior colleagues, supporting the provision of housing health and safety, compliance and operational risk management services. This will include the provision of advice, reviewing housing maintenance services, auditing and the development and implementation of strategies, roadmaps and management plans.
What it’s like to work here
You will be a trusted consultant, working collaboratively with senior colleagues who come from a variety of technical, social housing and environmental health backgrounds.
You will be exposed to diverse social housing clients including housing associations of all sizes and types, local authorities and arms length management organisations. Your work will expose you to a multitude of challenges and projects, providing enormous potential for your development, growth and professional learning. A role in a consultancy environment has long been seen as a way of fast tracking your career. This is no different with the potential to gain a significant foothold within the social housing sector, develop your professional and management, leadership and influencing skills, while being exposed to challenging operational and strategic issues.
You will advise Executives, Boards and Committees as well as help operational teams implement meaningful action plans and change programmes.
You will have the opportunity to work nationwide, work from home, and work within a supported office environment. We are a supportive employer and reward hard work with flexibility.
It is a faced-paced environment with an abundance of talent, knowledge and experience to help nurture your professional and personal development. It is a fast growing business with a clear sense of direction and purpose.
What you’ll be doing
You will guide and consult. You will not enforce or police. Your judgement and advice will be sought from organisational leaders and managers.
You will principally support our housing health and safety compliance auditing and compliance improvement programmes. This includes advising clients around their housing compliance obligations and operational risk management, auditing their management approach and documenting findings in comprehensive reports. You might be helping clients to improve their overall approach or you might be helping them with specific issues around housing health and safety related issues such as asbestos, gas, electrical safety, fire safety or water hygiene.
Strong communication skills – both verbal and written – are essential.
Your previous experience is likely to have been within either private sector housing enforcement or health and safety enforcement. We don’t expect you to be a technical ‘expert’ (you will work with colleagues who are) but some experience or knowledge in relation to gas, electric, asbestos, fire, legionella would be useful as would a working knowledge of HHSRS and health and safety law more generally.
We will provide requisite technical training and on-the-job coaching and mentoring.
Who we’re looking for
- To be successful in this role you’ll need to have a relevant Environmental Health qualification and ideally hold MCIEH. Additional qualifications in occupational health & safety, gas, electric, fire, asbestos or legionella would be useful.
- Experience in operational risk management from within an enforcement environment within either private sector housing and/or occupational health and safety.
- Experience of scoping, completing and reporting on operational risk audits in either a housing or occupational health and safety setting.
- Ability to build relationships internally and externally.
- Ability to coach, guide and steer senior leaders.
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through technical and professional training courses.
- Develop your skills with through working with senior colleagues with significant social housing knowledge and experience.
- Develop into a Senior Consultant, Lead Consultant, Head of Service or Director – we are a fast growing, successful business – the opportunities are endless.
- Build significant knowledge and experience of social housing organisations.
Unique to us
- Work for the #1 employer in Warrington as defined by Best Companies.
- Work for the Employer of the Year 2018 awarded by Warrington Business Awards.
- Work in a rural barn conversion, which is close to the motorway network.
- Be part of a dynamic, ambitious team who work collaboratively and who believe having fun is important.
How to apply
For more information and to apply please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
- Functional / Technical Skills – Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
- Technical Learning – Picks up technical things quickly; can learn new industry, company, product or technical knowledge.
- Time Management – Uses his/her time effectively and efficiently; values time; concentrates his/her efforts on the more important priorities; gets more done in less time than others; can attend to a broader range of activities.
- Written Communications – Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
- Decision Quality – Makes good decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judges over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Organisational Agility – Knowledgeable about how organisations work; knows how to get things done through formal channels and the informal network; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices and procedures; understands the cultures of organisations.