Vacancy: Experienced Lab Technician
Location: Bromley, South East London
Purpose of role
The ultimate purpose of this role is to provide excellent and highly effective asbestos analysis/ identification which ensures the delivery of accurate and timely survey reports in accordance with client’s contractual requirements.
As a trainee you will support the business in delivering services to clients, gain skills and experience and follow a structured programme of training, including formal qualification that will ultimately lead to you being competent to identify asbestos materials.
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
As a laboratory technician you will support the business in delivering services to clients, your principal role will be to book in samples and sample data, analysis of samples, assisting in the weekly running of the laboratory and production of certificates to UKAS accredited standards.
You will be required to display competence in the lab in order to provide high quality analysis in accordance with the IAS Quality Manual and UKAS accreditation, be able to data input on the IAS database. All the while upholding the company’s policies and procedures, strategies and culture.
You will also ensure that all laboratory and field analytical equipment is maintained and calibrated and that stock levels of all laboratory supplies are maintained to appropriate levels.
Summary of duties to include but not limited to:
- Undertaking a range of laboratory focused duties, including analysis of samples in adherence to strict analytical and quality standards.
- Data entry of all results collected from analysis carried out.
- Formulating asbestos analysis reports
- Responsible for the output of the laboratory
- Ensuring a continuous throughput of bulk samples through the laboratory on a daily basis
- Calibration of equipment used in field
- Maintaining stock levels
- To be up to date with relevant legislation and the Quality Manual
- To be proactive to ensure the product is delivered on time
- To contribute to developing new services and systems
- To meet all legal obligations required to be met by the company as a provider of asbestos related services and an employer
- To take personal responsibility for productivity and billable time
- To maintain equipment and tools
- To maintain all elements of the laboratory
- Treat each other, and others, with respect at all times
- To ensure that the culture of the company is one that is honest and open and values everyone’s opinions and contributions
- To actively thank people for their efforts
- To contribute to a culture that is positive about the company
- To contribute to a culture that enables Pennington Choices to be a learning organisation open to challenge and change
- To proactively engage in training and development provided by the company
- To take personal responsibility for maintaining technical expertise and an awareness of current issues in the sector
- To support the business by working flexibly and responsively from the company’s office or from clients sites as required.
- To carry out other such duties as may be reasonably required.
- To ensure that the equality and diversity policy is proactively implemented at all times.
- To work within the company’s policies and procedures at all times.
Personal specification and requirements
Education / Qualifications
- Scientific/Maths A-levels, or science HND.
- P401 qualification
- Environmental Science HND or Degree
Skills / Experience
- IT Literate with experience of using MS Word and Excel
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Work in a customer facing capacity
- Ability to present complex issues in a clear and concise manner.
- Experience in UKAS accredited laboratory
- Experience of environmental sciences
- Experience of supervising / coaching others
Behaviours / Personal competencies
- Keen and self motivated
- A commitment to team working
- Record of reliability
- A confident approach.
- A commitment to analytical work.
- Quality focused with an emphasis on getting it ‘right first time’
- Customer focus
- Ability to present complex issues in a clear and concise manner
- All applicants must be able to work with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and outlook
- Experience of use a tablet and TEAMs software would also be advantageous
To apply for this position please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org