Are your people safe? Are your health and safety strategies leader-led? Do you have a clear, standardised approach for producing risk assessments? Does your health and safety plan have clear measurable performance indicators? Do you have a fully transparent and up to date induction process?
Health and safety management is an integral part of good management generally, rather than as a standalone system. Our Health and Safety Health Checks assess the central control, governance, and auditing of health and safety compliance and performance and ensure it is in line with HSG65. HSG65 is a guidance document which is based on a Plan, Do, Check, Act approach, which gives a balanced approach between the systems and behavioural aspects of management.
What does it involve?
We provide you with a position statement on your current health and safety management performance and more importantly a roadmap to improving your health and safety management systems.
Our methodology involves:
- Reviewing your health and safety documents including policies, procedures/arrangements, risk assessments, safe systems of work, method statements, guidance documents/information and reporting
- Interviewing management and key operational staff involved in the delivery of health and safety
- Devising a position statement i.e. compliance with your training programme, accident and near miss performance, risk assessment and audit programme, supplier and subcontractor approvals and PPE/equipment issue and calibration etc.
- Defining strategic goals, establishing who is accountable and responsible, determining how these will be achieved and how success will be measured
- Auditing and inspecting the safety management systems across all departments in line with policies and procedures
- Evaluating health and safety KPIs in relation to their effectiveness and reliability
- Assessing the training process for new starters including the systems used to store, manage and audit new starter training documents.
Our Occupational Health and Safety Health Check will give you peace of mind that your organisations management is sufficient and up to date with all regulatory, legal and policy changes.
Occupational Health and Safety Health Check
Did you know you have a legal duty to put sufficient measures in place to manage your workplace’s health and safety arrangements? The HSG 65 is a document that can be used by providers to position themselves in relation to organisational health and safety requirements. It helps organisations to reorganise their health and safety arrangements through the Plan, Do, Check, Act approach.
Pennington Choices will undertake an in-depth review and assessment of your health and safety arrangements in order to ensure they are in line with HSG 65. Our analysis will investigate and evidence how well your organisation is meeting the requirements of HSG65 by assessing your:
- Written health and safety policies
- Current arrangements for the effective planning and organisation of all actions identified in your risk assessments
- Employee training on how to manage risk
We offer a variety of health and safety training ranging from face fit tests to risk assessment. Our training includes technical safety training i.e fire marshal/warden, to strategic i.e. visible felt leadership, behavioural change and Board awareness.
Chairing Safety Meetings
Because health and safety is an essential part of good management, we assess the health and safety meetings and then review the meeting structure and its effectiveness in improving health and safety performance. Through these meeting assessments, we are able to assess how well the organisation is positioned to meet its relevant key performance indicators (KPIs).
We will produce a detailed roadmap of the steps needed to be taken in order for your organisation to be able to both meet, and evidence, all health and safety requirements. Additionally, we will provide you with a detailed health and safety strategy which can be used to ensure your organisation remains compliant with their health and safety obligations once they have been achieved.
Our professional health and safety consultants will provide you with expert knowledge to reassure you that your organisation fully complies with all statutory health and safety obligations and that your performance can be evidenced.
Email Sarah Davies to find out more.
Suzanne Wolfe - CEO, Industrial Dwellings Society
Head of Consultancy
Head of Consultancy
- International Certification of Enterprise Risk Management
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Joint Honours Degree – English, Literature and History
- Managing Successful Programmes (MSP)
- Management of Portfolios (MoP)
- PRINCE2 and DSDM Agile PM Practitioner
Sarah Davies is our Head of Consultancy and has spent nearly two decades working with organisations across the public and not-for-profit sectors. Starting her career with the Audit Commission before moving into strategic leadership roles in Police, Fire and Social Housing; Sarah has substantial experience in Strategic Procurement, Value for Money and leading complex and large-scale business and digital transformational change programmes and operational services.
As Assistant Director of Business Improvement at a housing provider, Sarah introduced and embedded a new Enterprise Risk Management Approach and advised in the EU procurement of a new repairs service, including an emergency procurement. During her time as Head of Strategic Change for Cheshire Constabulary and Cheshire Fire & Rescue, Sarah was the Lead Officer for Digital and Organisation Transformation and Efficiency Programmes; delivering three major collaborations/ mergers with other organisations, including the development and implementation of a back-office shared service for UK Policing (using Oracle ERP technology).
The following blogs may also be of interest to you.